Well...That Escalated Quickly. Or, Why I'm on a Plane to Buenos Aires

It always starts with an e-mail...

October 2010 - an e-mail was sent about a great fare to Lima, Peru.  Within 24 hours, we had tickets to Easter Island, then Lima was booked a few days later.  An epic vacation was created in a very short amount of time.

No big deal...just spending a day on Easter Island...

September 2012 - an e-mail was sent about an amazing fare to Istanbul.  Three hours later, we had a third person ready to go.  By 9p, we had tickets in hand for a weekend away.

The best part about a small amount of rain...rainbows afterwards...

March 2014 - on an unassuming Friday at 1115a, an e-mail was sent about an amazing fare to Buenos Aires.  Thirty minutes later, we were discussing options in person (cause we just happened to be meeting for lunch a few minutes after the first e-mail exchange...it's all about timing).  By 230p, a flight was on hold.  We had until midnight the next day to make our decision.

Come on...you know what that decision would be.

But I have to admit, I had a bit of unexpected anxiety about the whole thing.

I'm not usually an anxious person.  I leave that to Adele ;)  But this one had (has??) me a little bit on edge.  I've spent the last few weeks trying to figure out why.  My guess is this trip was SO out of left field, it was going to take me a while to process what the hell I just did.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize part of the reason I was freaking out was because I'm already in the middle of planning a BIG trip for the summer.  Another big (though not as big, but foreign always = big) trip is kind of not the best life decision.  But...half off of a flight, plus cheap hotel, plus me needing to use a few carryover vacation days before I lost them means...this is a good idea.  Right??

Right.  Right.  I mean it is.  It's a good thing.

It wasn't until a day or two after paying for the flight that I started feeling better about this decision.  Chad was the one who put it perfectly.  This trip...it's my birthday present to myself.  We're going to be gone right before my birthday.  It's my celebratory time.  The trip this summer is Elias's graduation trip.  It's his celebratory time.  I mean, I'm going to steer him to things I want to see too, cause I'm no fool (*cough* Wales and The Doctor Who Experience *cough*).  But his is a completely different kind of trip.

Ahhh...justification...it's a thing...

I'm not going to deny, I'm also concerned about the whole money thing.  The BIG trip keeps punching me in the gut when I start booking tours and events.  I mean, seriously, could the USD/GBP exchange rate be any worse??  No.  Wait.  Don't answer that.  Seriously.  Pretend I didn't say that.  I just don't want it to get any worse, so I don't want to complain to the Universe too much.  Sorry, Universe!!  It just becomes frustrating when you start doing the math.  Who knew I'd be excited to think about the USD/Euro exchange rate later in that trip??

So I'm on a plane.  First to Dallas.  Then to Buenos Aires.  This is happening right now.  And it's gonna be great.  So very great.  Stay tuned...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nun Cookies of Madrid

Antiques and Amusements - A Canadian Wonderland: Day 4

The Crocodile Incident on a Nighttime Safari